6 January 2014

11 Tips for a More Productive Year – Remixed

As I start the new year and begin implementing my plans to become more proactive on a personal, social and professional level, I’ve noticed that organizing my time more efficiently has become both a priority and a challenge. I came across an article by Kathleen Davis for FastCompany titled 11 Expert Tips to Help You Be More Productive in 2014. I thought I would synthesize some of the lessons for my own benefit and perhaps for others as well. 


1.     Focus On One Big Task At A Time
Although it’s easy to become distracted by all of the finer details in a given project, it’s important to focus on the bigger picture and to make sure that progress is actually being made. As I begin two new blogs this year, Kanyika's Thoughts and LadyLoc, I'm realizing that there are a lot of small pieces that contribute to a successful post. However, I’m also realizing that none of those small details matter if I don't manage to publish anything. So here's to one big task completed!
2.     Organize Your Day Into Time Blocks
I'm such a night owl. I'm the furthest thing from a morning person and I’m convinced that I don’t truly hit my stride at work until some time after 11:00AM. Unlike a lot of people, I find that the later the day gets, the more energy I have and the more productive I am. Unfortunately, this typically manifests itself in a lot of late nights and later mornings. To combat this, I'm trying to organize tasks into time blocks that fit my periods of highest productivity (without going too late into the night). It’s also worth trying tip #6 to avoid getting distracted.
3.     Do Things You Don’t Want To Do
This is a big one for me. I’m a creature of habit and any task that seems too daunting tends to raise my stress levels. Despite this, I try to break projects down into smaller, more manageable pieces that some might argue is a form of procrastination in and of itself. I’d like to think otherwise. As I mentioned in tip #1, it’s important to make sure that progress is actually being made on said project. It’s okay not to feel like running, but you can still drag your feet to the finish line. Just be sure to move.     

4.     Don’t Get Paralyzed By Perfection
This is an even bigger point for me. I am hands down a perfectionist. I used to think that being a perfectionist could only be a good thing until I realized that it also means a lot of wasted energy and frustration. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Well, maybe just a little :)

5.     Stay In The Moment
Although I pride myself on being a multi-tasker, I notice that my productivity actually drops when I’m constantly switching focus. This also applies to simply being present in the moment. In our frenzied world, it’s difficult to remain present. Many of us are so busy capturing life on our phones and other devices that we're not actually living it! I digress. Although I’m not one to concentrate on my breathing or meditate to stay centered, whatever works to keep you in the moment at work or at play is good.    
 
6.     Put Your Brain On Autopilot For The Small Stuff
So I have this somewhat embarrassing (or brilliant) ritual of selecting my outfits for work the night before (I think I already mentioned that I am NOT a morning person). One of my friends asked me what I do when I wake up and feel like wearing something else – you know, because the sun is so bright and inspiring that day. I told her that I just don’t have the brain power in the morning to care, so I keep things simple by doing all of that tough mental work the night before. This also applies to those of you who pack your lunches to stay healthy and save money. I’m still working on that.   
 
7.     Write An Old-Fashioned To-Do List
This is perhaps the only tip that I mastered from an early age. However, there came a point during my undergraduate education where I took the lists thing too far and was writing notes for EVERY detail of my waking life. This was likely the result of juggling class schedules and assignments while trying to maintain some semblance of a social life away from home. It quickly went from being an efficient organizational strategy to feeling like a straightjacket on my every move. I think I’ve since found a good balance where I write down key tasks (emphasis on key) and check them off in my own time.     
 
8.     Get An Accountability Partner
Admittedly, I love the movie Yes Man with Jim Carrey. In the movie, Jim’s character Carl Allen attends a cult-like motivational seminar that encourages its members to say “Yes!” to every single opportunity they encounter in their lives. While Carl squirms uncomfortably in his seat, guru Terrence Bundley, played by Terence Henry Stamp, explains the consequences of being a “No Man” and uses the following quote to drive his point:
“We’re going to make a covenant, Carl. Do you want to make a covenant? The word is ‘Yes,’ Carl. Yes! Yes! Yes!..You’ll be making a promise to yourself. And when you break a promise to yourself, things can get a little dicey.”
I like this quote because it reminds me that, although having someone to check your work and ensure that it’s completed is great incentive to be more productive, you are ultimately the only person responsible for your own failures or successes. I apologize if this example was a stretch, but it works for me!
9.     Don’t Check Facebook
Really, don’t.

10.   Deal With It Only Once
This tip goes back to #4 and the struggle for perfectionism. I can’t say how many times I’ve completed a task only to go back to it in the hopes of perfecting it just a little more. At times, the effort is worth it. Most other times, it’s a waste of productivity. Do it once and do it well.

11.   Escape Into Single-Tasking
This last point is a culmination of all of the previous tips, but particularly tips #1 and #5. As an example, the time it’s taken me to write this post has been largely uninterrupted and I’ve managed to stay relatively focused on getting through this list. Of course I thought about checking Facebook (and Twitter and Tumblr and Instagram…), but now that I’ve finished the task of writing my first post, I think I’ll reward myself by doing just that.

On to the next!

No comments: